Beyond

I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. If that makes me naive, then so be it.

Thursday 14 April 2011

daring cooks, april

This month brought a fun new challenge - edible containers. This was a fun challenge, as it was a little more about taking flavours I knew and combining them into a bowl that could be eaten, rather than trying entirely new cuisine. I have loved the journeys through Peru, Japan, and France these past months, but this month's was enjoyable in its own way.

Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at http://thedaringkitchen.com

I did two variations, both appetizer-type things that were enjoyed by the tasting panel (my family, my sister, and brother-in-law). First was a polenta cup with a Caprese-type salad. I love polenta, it's a summer favourite when I grill squares of it on the BBQ. I made a batch with onion and herbs, then shaped it into cups in oiled muffin cups (a sticky effort, so took some time) then chilled until it set. The cups were filled with a mix of grape tomato, boccancini, fresh basil, salt, pepper, and prosciutto. Nice and fresh, and had me itching for summer when my garden will be full of fresh herbs. Yummm...

The second version was made from cups of overlapped oiled wonton wrappers that I baked until they were crispy and golden. These were filled with some noodles that I'd coated with a sauce made with peanut butter, soy sauce, Thai chili paste, minced hot chilies, and oyster sauce for an Asian version. These were the favourite with most of the taste panel.


Another fun month in the kitchen! Thanks to a family holiday, my time to experiment was shortened this month, but it definitely got me thinking of new ways to serve goodies.

4 comments:

Audax said...

Both versions are so cute I couldn't get my polenta to set correctly so well done on that and the pretty wonton cup is perfect of the spicy filling great work on this challenge.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Kankana said...

I like both the version. Perfect flavor combination you have used . :)

Lisa said...

I love both the polenta and woton cup containers, and I'm dying to taste those fillings, especially the peanut butter noodles! Fantastic job!

Renata said...

I also love polenta, and the filling you added to it sounds so delicious! The second version is also amazing, must be a crispy delight! Great job on the challenge, and thanks for participating!